Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Poem of the Week ~ Leprechaun Language


For St. Patrick's Day, we read a poem about a friendly leprechaun.  He taught us what "Erin Go Bragh" means.  Do you know?


Leprechaun Language
by Alice Knisley Matthias

I couldn't believe what I stumbled upon, 
There he was before me - a real leprechaun.
He said, "I just woke from my long morning nap."
Stretching his arms, he fixed his giant black cap.
"I didn't see you there when I first woke up,
I'm making some tea now, would you like a cup?"
He had bright blue eyes and a rather long nose
With emerald green shoes that turned up at the toes.
We chatted together while drinking our tea,
Just the two of us - the leprechaun and me.
He said, "Do you know that soon it will be St. Patrick's Day?
I'll share with you friend, something the Irish say.
They have a saying that is oh, so clever,
Erin Go Bragh means Ireland forever!"



No comments:

Post a Comment